With cunning and courage, the Old Testament heroine succeeded in entering the camp of Holofernes outside the city of Bethulia. There she put an end to the threat his troops posed by decapitating the enemy general. Cranach’s large workshop created all of the known half-length versions of Judith around the year 1530. This striking concentration was apparently related to the founding of the Schmalkaldic League at that time: Judith became the symbolic figure of Protestant resistance to the armies of Charles V.
Overall: 87,7 cm × 58,1 cm × 2,4 cm
Framed: 103 cm × 73 cm × 5,5 cm
Inscribed on the left side of the head of Holofernes with the snake with standing wings
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
ca. 1610-1619 imperial collection Vienna;
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.