around 1530, Artist: Lucas Cranach d. Ä.
With cunning and courage, the Old Testament heroine succeeded in entering the camp of Holofernes outside the city of Bethulia. There she put an end to the threat his troops posed by decapitating the enemy general. Cranach’s large workshop created all of the known half-length versions of Judith around the year 1530. This striking concentration was apparently related to the founding of the Schmalkaldic League at that time: Judith became the symbolic figure of Protestant resistance to the armies of Charles V.
Lucas Cranach d. Ä. (1472 Kronach - 1553 Weimar) - GND
Overall: 87,7 cm × 58,1 cm × 2,4 cm
Framed: 103 cm × 73 cm × 5,5 cm
Inscribed on the left side of the head of Holofernes with the snake with standing wings
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
ca. 1610-1619 imperial collection Vienna;
Permalink (citable Link) to this page: www.khm.at/en/object/535/
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.