The slightly sloping square of the Freyung culminates with the Church of the Scots, built 1638–48. The south façade and the right side of the square are flooded by the midday sun. The view shows the original topography of the square with the convent wall, which was replaced from the Priory House im 1773, one of the first “apartment buildings” in Vienna. Of all the buildings on the square only the Harrach Palace on the left side has survived. The vivacious rendering of the market stalls and the lively coloured staffage figures enlivens the foreground of the painting. Inv.-Nr. GG 1654
119 cm × 153 cm
Framed (gallery frame): 133,5 cm × 169,5 cm × 6,4 cm
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
Since its creation in imperial possession; Bratislava inventory of 1781, No 10 Billiard room; in the early 19th century in the Vienna Hofburg; since 1849 exhibited in the Gemäldegalerie;
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.