around 1440, Artist: Rogier van der Weyden
The scene presented today as the wing of an altarpiece probably originates from a single panel on which the frame was only painted. At an early stage the work was sawn into three pieces so that the depictions of Mary Magdalene and St. Veronica became side-wings of a triptych. The great artistic innovation of van der Weyden may therefore have carried even greater weight in the original version: for the first time he combines all the participants – the crucifixion group, saints and benefactors – in front of a unified landscape in which the idealised view of Jerusalem appears on the horizon.
Rogier van der Weyden (1399 oder 1400 Tournai - 1464 Brüssel) - GND
Mitteltafel: middle panel: 96 x 69 cm
wing framed: 101 x 35 cm
wings overall: 96 x 27 cm
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
Coll. Leopold Wilhelm
Permalink (citable Link) to this page: www.khm.at/en/object/2123/
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.