This picture is an early work by Orley, the central panel of a winged altarpiece. The side panels are now in Brussels. The Apostles Matthew and Thomas were the patron saints of masons and carpenters, respectively, who donated the altar. The fantastic architecture divides the panel into two parts: on the left is the martyrdom of St. Thomas (in the background he is walking across glowing irons and being put into an oven); on the right Matthew is chosen as an Apostle (in the background the presentation of the poisoned chalice and the death of his adversaries).
140 x 180 cm
Inscribed on the shield of the central pillar in the round with the inscription: BERNART VAN ORLEI and an unclear monogram: OVB ?
Über der Inschrift ein Malerwappen mit 3 Schildern
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
acquired in 1809
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.