The Nuremberg merchant Matthäus Landauer founded the “Twelve Brothers’ House” as a home for aged and destitute craftsmen. He commissioned Dürer to do the altar-piece for the associated chapel. The All Saints’ Picture depicts the adoration of the Holy Trinity by the heavenly angels and saints united in the community of “God’s state” as well as by earthly believers of all times. On the left hand side of the picture, the founder Matthäus Landauer is kneeling surrounded by the righteous. Set apart from the heavenly vision on earth, Dürer has painted himself in festive garments with an inscription board bearing his signature. Inv.-Nr. GG 838
135 x 123,4 cm
Inscribed on the tablet at lower right: ALBERTVS. DVRER. NORICVS. FACIEBAT. ANNO. A. VIRGINIS. PARTV. 1511; and the monogram
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
1585 bought by Rudolf II from the foundation of the Twelve Brothers' House; 1780 from the Geistlichen Schatzkammer into the picture gallery;
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.