The originally gold-plated, high-ranking state coach was adapted to a mourning carriage in the early 19th century and was painted and fitted out in black. The allegorical paintings on the coach panels by Michelangelo Unterberger (dating from c. 1738/40) were only rediscovered under the black paint in 1930. This carriage was drawn by six or eight horses from the Kladrub imperial stud farm. The first proven use of this coach was at the coronation of the future Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II in Frankfurt on the Main, on 29th March, 1764. The formal entry parade into the city of Frankfurt is depicted in a painting by Johann Dallinger dating from 1766/67 (KHM, GG, Inv.-Nr. 7467). The original appearence of the coach body is clearly visible in this painting. (MKR)
Gestell um 1690, Kasten um 1730/35, umgebaut im 19. Jahrhundert
614 cm × 351 cm × 192 cm
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Wagenburg
Wagenburg, W 2 1
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.