Isabella Clara Eugenia, the governor of the Netherlands, donated this triptych to the St. Ildefonso Brotherhood in Brussels. It depicts a miracle from the life of the saint: the Virgin Mary appears in heavenly glory and presents him with a chasuble. The scene illustrates Rubens’s talent for connecting sacred with emotionally human aspects to create a wonderful unity. The side panels depict the archduke and his wife, accompanied by their respective patron saints, St. Albert of Louvain and St. Elizabeth of Hungary.
Mittelteil: middle panel: 352 x 236 cm
wings each: 352 x 109 cm
former wing outsides: 353 x 233 cm
framed: 520 cm × 300 cm × 30 cm
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
St. Jacob op de Coudenberg, Chapel of the Virgin Mary, Brussels; acquired 1777 from Coudenberg Abbey
Erzherzog Albert VII. Sohn des Maximilian II. Habsburg Österreich (1559 Wiener Neustadt - 1621 Brüssel) - GND
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.