Margarita was the first child of the marriage between King Philip IV and his second wife Mariana of Austria. Following the desire of her grandfather, Emperor Ferdinand III., for her portraits, the Spanish court sent her likenesses to Vienna at intervals of two to three years. The first one shows the princess in stately pose standing on a dais; a brilliantly depicted vase of flowers to her right might contain marguerites (in a play on the name of the sitter).
Overall: 128 cm × 99,6 cm × 3,2 cm
Framed: 150,2 cm × 121,3 cm × 6,5 cm
Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien, Gemäldegalerie
since October 1654 documented as a gift of King Philip IV at the imperial court; at the latest since 1837 in the imperial gallery in Vienna
This object is still without a Art Patron. Accept the patronage and make sure that this cultural treasure is preserved for future generations.
Your donation is a direct and sustainable contribution to the scientific documentation, research, restoration, and presentation of the artworks of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.