Kunstkammer WienThe Cradle of the Museum
The Kunstkammer Wien is the most important collection of its kind in the world. Since March 1, 2013 this unique collection is now again open to the public. Come and see a »museum within the museum«: twenty newly-installed galleries invite you to experience a world of beauty and wit, curiosities and wonder.
The Kunst- und Wunderkammern (arts and natural wonders rooms) of the Renaissance and Baroque periods were encyclopaedic, universal collections that attempted to reflect the entire knowledge of the day. Particularly desirable were rare, curious and unusual objects.
From the late Middle Ages to the Baroque, Habsburg emperors and archdukes collected exotic and uncommon materials, to which they often ascribed magical powers, such as precious stones, ostrich eggs, coral and shark’s teeth, which were considered to be dragon’s tongues. From these natural products, artists created virtuoso works of art.
Over 2200 fabulous artworks await you in the Kunstkammer Wien. Among its highlights are examples of fabulous goldsmith work such as the celebrated Saliera by Benvenuto Cellini, outstanding sculptures such as the Krumau Madonna, magnificent bronze statuettes, delicate and bizarre ivories and precious stone vessels as well as valuable clocks, elaborate automatons, strange scientific instruments, sumptuous gameboards and much, much more.
Get your timeslot ticket now!
The Kunsthistorisches Museums Wien has introduced a timeslot system to ensure that our guests can enjoy their visit to the Kunstkammer Wien without having to queue.
- Entrance tickets and free timeslot-tickets to visit the Kunstkammer Wien are available at our online ticketshop and from the ticket offices in front of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.
- A timeslot-ticket – in conjunction with a valid entrance ticket – admits you to the Kunstkammer Wien.
- Timeslot-tickets are available for Tuesday – Sunday, 10 am – 5pm at 20 minutes intervals. You can only enter the Kunstkammer Wien during the period stated on your timeslot-ticket; once admitted, you may stay as long as you like.
- Annual Ticket holders, holders of combined tickets or Friends of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien can pick up their free timeslot-ticket at the time-slot window at the ticket office in front of the museum.
- You do not need a timeslot-ticket to visit any of the other collections of the Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien.
Information & Booking
T +43 1 525 24- 5202
Please visit our press room for all press releases and press pictures
on the reopening of the Kunstkammer Wien.